Sunday, August 26, 2007

Memories of renting....

When Derek and I were engaged to be married, we were living in Euless, Texas. It's what I like to call the armpit of the Dalls/Ft. Worth area. Seriously, it's pretty ghetto. Anyway, we were there because Derek was selling pest control door-to-door to earn money for school expenses that up-coming fall. Since he was making more money than I was as a server at a local restaurant, it fell to me to locate our first married housing.

At this time, BYU's married housing had a wait list of about two years, so that option was immediately out. I scoured the paper (can you believe I actually used a newspaper instead of the internet?!!?--shows how long we've been married) for our future dwelling.

Let me tell you, in Provo, Utah, you can find some pretty crazy set ups. I've gone hunting with my cousin before and we found one apartment that looked like a bunch of hippies must've lived there because the bathtub was tye-dyed. Really, I kid you not. I found another place that I was ready to move into until my cousin wisely pointed out that there was a door on every single wall, therefore, necessitating placing my bed in the middle of the room. Another apartment was directly below a yummy, local restaurant (La Carreta) and was so small, I wouldn't have been able to place a couch against any one wall. I've seen a lot. I've lived in basements, apartments, condos and houses and now, it's finally time to move to our very first house.

We're supposed to close this Tuesday and I can hardly wait. Our house is chaotic with half of our stuff in boxes and the essentials still waiting to be packed up. I'm going to miss the people in our ward. It has been so wonderful to live in one place for three years and build some wonderful friendships. I realize that I'll still be able to be in contact, but I won't be able to see them in church anymore. A lot of you have already moved out of this ward and I already don't see you. It's sad to go, but it's also so exciting to think of the future.

6 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

yay! i am so excited for you! and the thing i miss about that ward, the only thing pretty much, besides being your VT , is SUNDAY SCHOOL! our new ward has nothing on the wonder of those teachers in that ward. how exciting! email me your location if you want, i am dying to know where you ended up purchasing! looks like a great house with room to grow! so fun! congratulation's!

Brooke said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am excited for you guys. Love your house. I was thinking about you today, wondering where you guys were going, and when.

Moving off of campus is the exciting part. I miss the ward. I didn't know a lot of people there towards the end, but it was still sad to leave.

It's kind of crazy being in my own place. I get to decorate, something I am learning I need lots of help with! I wish I had all of you out here to help me with that!

What part of town are you in? I hope I can come see your new house, when we come out to visit in Nov. If you are around, we are coming out the week of Thanksgiving (mon-sat).

Good luck with the moving (so fun with little ones!). Your house looks really nice. I love the bush out front with the red flowers. Can always use a bit of color out there in the desert!

Lara Neves said...

Love your house, Audrey. Loved the pictures you sent, too. Just a wee bit jealous over here, as we're still renting.

Someday soon, though. As we're finally making a dent in all those school loans from ASU! :)

I still miss that ward terribly. I'm sure if I showed up I'd know only 6 people, but it was one of the best wards we've ever been in. We've often talked about why, and we feel part of it is because we were given such a great opportunity to serve there....and I'm sure that's part of it for you, too. But, really, such great people. Totally miss it.

Marielle said...

We really miss the ward too. I don't know if it was because it was a student ward or what but there was something really special about that ward for us.

Hope we still see you often!

Marielle

Annie said...

Sadly I think there are only a few people I would miss from our ward...I should have gotten to know more people. :(

What is really sad is I think I will miss my gas range more! lol. Your house from the pics looks lovely and as I'm sure you have heard I am SO jelly about your kitchen (very NICE) Can I come over and cook in it! (I'm only half joking!)

Let us know when you are ready to have visitors! Jack will see you guys on moving day...Enjoy your "mansion"!

Tina said...

I agree with Lara, we totally miss the ward and I know it's because we had such huge opportunities to serve. As difficult as it may seem at the time, it really is what binds you to the ward family.