Saturday, November 24, 2007

When a Good Thing Goes Too Far...

I went to book club the other night. No, this post is not going to promote literacy again. I know you're sick, sick, sick of that, so keep reading.
The friend I sat next to said she had spoken to her sister that day. Apparently her sister was at their mom's house for Thanksgiving. She went through the canned goods and discovered (I am absolutely not making this up) that her mom had canned M&M's.

This is just wrong for multiple reasons:

1. If the bag was unopened, you should've left them alone, that plastic bag was doing just fine.

2. If the bag was opened, could you not just finish them up? Could you not put them in a candy dish and let visitors eat them by handfuls?

3. I'm pretty sure this isn't what the Prophet meant when he said store a year's supply. I mean, it's left vague, so you get what's a year supply for your family, but this might be over the top for me even.

Although, if they were peanut butter M&M's, I might cut her some slack, 'cause dang, those would be a part of my year's supply as well. If you're going to have to survive on whole wheat, rice and some dried apples, you might as well have some dessert. No, fruit is not dessert. Fruit is only a dessert if it is covered in chocolate or assisted in its effort to act as a dessert by being a part of lots of sugar or cream.

6 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Okay, that's IT. I will be sure to can a whole bunch of candy corn next Halloween. Thanks for the tip! ;)

Heather said...

I think its a genius idea! You're supossed to can what your family regularly eats..so why not :)

kjirsti said...

If anything. I love it for the pure contentment it would bring when you contemplate the time when you might have to use that food storage!

Shani said...

That's hilarious....I do have to agree with you on the peanutbutter M&M's, however! I discovered my weakness for them this summer! Since then I have a friend that occassionally "sweetens" my day by giving me some!! Yeah, that was bad, but it's true!!

jayne said...

I would have to say that is one smart woman. Have you ever heard of the bartering system? If everyone only has wheat and dried fruit, and you have chocolate, looks like you could probably trade for almost any luxury you lacked. My mom says she is only storing diet coke and chocolate for the bartering reason. Smart woman.

Jeff and Rachell Massey said...

Hey Audrey Rachell Massey! I found your blog and we have finally started our own it is jandrmassey.blogspot.com hope to keep in touch.