Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ready to Fall In Love


Fall is about so many things that Arizona isn't. Fall is about beautiful leaf changes. Fall is about soup. Mmmm-mmmm. (I made a batch of homemade potato soup on Monday. I had forgotten just how much this made and we've been eating it all week.) Fall is about long sleeves. It's about darker colors on your clothing. It's about chilly nights where you eat your yummy soup. (Yes, most everything in life revolves around food for me.) It's about those beautiful leaves crunching under your shoes as you walk. It's about jackets. It's about homemade chocolate chip cookies and milk (although for me this this last theme pretty much runs year round.)

To contrast this, fall in Arizona is about so many different things. While most of the people I know are starting to venture inside from their beautiful summer weather, we Arizonans are finally emerging from our air conditioned homes. My Grandma was telling me that her garden froze this week. In return, I told her how it had finally cooled down to the 90s so that we could play in the park without my kids getting third degree burns. The plants, instead of dropping their leaves, can finally bloom. I wear the same clothes I did all summer only I don't sweat quite so badly while wearing them.

So, what's the difference? The only difference really lies with my choices. I can cook soups and bake foods that will fill the house with heat without needing to turn on every available fan. And let's not forget about decorating the house. I think I finally get why my college roommates from Arizona would be giddy over decorating our apartment with pumpkins and gold and red items. It's a fake it till you make it attitude down here in the desert.

So much of how we perceive the holidays really does come from our memories of those seasons from our youth. Growing up in Colorado there was such a contrast between summer and fall, winter and spring.

Growing up here, my kids will really only know the difference between hot and wonderful. All those in between times of year are a bit lost on them. My kids will not have the images and memories that I have of fall. It'll be different for them. Makes me want to move them further north, so they can gain an appreciation of this wonderful time of year. But then I see black ice and people stranded by blizzards when winter comes and then I shake my head, put on my flip flops and walk outside to water my flowers.

13 comments:

Mariley Johnson said...

You sold me on moving north until the black ice and blizzards.
I do feel somewhat deprived of a true Fall having lived in the desert all my life. Just once i would like to enjoy 4 seasons. Nonethless, Fall is all about the food no matter where you live! I am with you on that!

kjirsti said...

In a way I wonder if not experiencing the other seasons will help them appreciate them more when they're older. Tom still loves the snow, the rain, the cold. They're always novel to him. Not to mention day light savings- always comes as a shock!

bloggingchristy said...

Texas is the same way. I listen to all my friends brag about there awesome summers and I sit inside and feel sorry for myself. But the Fall, Winter and Spring make up for what the summer lacks! I love being able to play outside in November! Although I will always miss the beautiful fall leaves in Utah! The leaves go from green to brown here!

Mamma Meg said...

We are already freezing over here. It's ridiculous. But at least we don't have scorpions. That is way more of an Arizona deal breaker than the heat for me.

rachel said...

I didn't remember a lot of the things I absolutely loved about fall. Then after getting just one night of snowy, freezing rain with an EXPENSIVE tire change,I remember all the things I love about Arizona. It's awesome that every place has it's amazing strengths, and weaknesses that make us appreciate the opposite. Enjoy that sun. I sure miss it.

Lara Neves said...

That was the one thing I missed living in AZ. Fall. I didn't even mind sumer too much, it was just sad that there was no fall to look forward to.

Now I'm experiencing fall like I never have before, and I'm afraid that Utah doesn't quite have an autumn either.

steve said...

Yeah it's odd how you learn to appreciate wherever you are as far as weather goes. It's also odd that Colorado winters bring great memories but not something you want back. I've learned to love Texas winters and now I'm nervous about NJ winters. Enjoy your non-sweating season while I freeze!!

getti said...

I think Your kids need those fall winter and spring experiences. You better convince Derek you need to move north. Utah is a great place:)

Crystal Eldredge said...

The ice cream truck was driving around tonight while I decorated my house for Halloween! I laughed to myself! I have been making soups and baked goods as well!

Heather said...

I am LOVING the Fall here (and always did in Nashville). So dang beautiful & making soups and decorating are so much more meaningful. But...I HATE winter. Growing up in AZ does that to a person. You are just not genetically made to deal with it. The great thing is, I can always go home to AZ in Jan/Feb. for a visit when I'm in seasonal depression.

Jessica Martiele said...

I just remembered why I'd rather die than move to AZ. Then again, most of my friends and family are there, so maybe two seasons - Summer and Not Summer - wouldn't be so bad? I don't know...90 degrees in almost-October...CA may not be so bad after all...

Got a great pumpkin soup recipe for you, btw! :)

Brittany and Scott said...

audrey its the phoenix children's museum. good times, this friday!! like i said get their early (a little before six) to get a parking space at the museum and to get in right away. have fun!!

Anonymous said...

I love when the weather changes too. Just this week it has started to feel like fall, yah!