Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Eat Pray Love--My Initial Response


So, have you heard of this book--Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert? I just started it last night while Derek was sleeping. I should've read a lot more given that after I turned out the lights, I laid there for two hours and had really creative and productive thoughts that I can't really remember right now. In fact, this blog post was going to be humorous and clever and well, it'll probably be neither to be honest.

I really appreciate a well crafted phrase--don't we all? You know, a quote that just says exactly what you want to say or makes you chuckle? Her book is full of those. Yes, chock full of those as well as thoughts that come across as sidenotes and you KNOW I love sidenotes. I think I pretty much only think in terms of sidenotes--I'm what you would term a detail person.

Let me share a couple of my favorite phrases:

"God never slams a door in your face without opening a box of Girl Scout cookies (or however the old adage goes)."

"But why must everything always have a practical application? I'd been such a diligent soldier for years--working, producing, never missing a deadline, taking care of my loved ones, my gums and my credit record, voting, etc. Is this lifetime supposed to be only about duty?"

I'm probably really making you all think how totally lame this book is, but if you like a novel where it feels like your best friend just called you up and is telling you the latest, this is such a great book for you. Now, remember I'm like 50 pages into this thing which isn't much--but can't those 50 pages make or break a book for you sometimes? Although I do think that I'm a bit of an overeager optimist when it comes to books. I'll hear friends discuss a book I loved and hear them confess how it started out slow and I'll be thinking, "What? Are you crazy? What did you expect the author to do kill someone in the first 50 pages?"

A new book--a GOOD, new book--almost as exciting as chocolate, but better in some ways because you don't have to exercise it off later.

11 comments:

Chandy said...

Amen to that!

Lara Neves said...

It's been on my to read list forever....need to get it!

Tina said...

This book was on my to-read list too. But then I saw the author on Oprah, twice and I was really put off by how self-indulgent she seemed. I felt like her whole message was- leave your family, life, everything that is important to you- go "find yourself", continue to live for yourself and that will make you happy.

Obviously, I could be wrong. I guess I should give that book a chance. I'm anxious to hear what you think about it when you finish it.

DKAZ said...

I really liked her descriptions of the countries that she visited and the people that she met. I read it before we left for Bali last year. I do like her style of writing and you're right about her sidenotes-they are in abundance. I just didn't like the overall theme. I feel like the theme of the book is in part one of the contributors to our society's problem at large. Hapiness isn't in your own backyard and has nothing to do with your own immediate responsibilites and ability to think positively...instead it has everything to do with running away, dropping everything that has "responsibility" tied to it and go travel the world to "find oneself". And not to spoil it (afterall it says it in the title), but the end of the book really ruins everything for me. And anything she DID have going for her at the end was lost becuase of what she ends up "finding"(again in the title). So much for Miss Independent. More like Miss Self-absorbed or Miss How can I cash in my own miserable life, that isn't really that miserable! So you'll have to tell me what you think of Miss Gilbert after the next 300 or so pages.

DKAZ said...

Sorry for the tipos! Ha!

Mariley Johnson said...

So glad to hear about it. I've heard a lot about the book.
And I love your thought about a good book and not havig to exercise it off!!

Annie said...

Hmm got this book last christmas, from MIL haven't read it yet. I have been meaning too but I just havent gotten around to it yet...Glad you liked it!

Lauren and Trevor said...

I'd like to read that. Thanks for reccommending it!
Lauren

Lara Neves said...

Yes Ma'am...just copy and paste the award to your own blog and then award five more people. I guess there's the little tag that goes along with it, too. :)

Heather said...

I only read about half this book. I agree, I LOVED her writing style and catchy phrases. It was a little too self-indulgent for me though. It was due back at the library, and instead of re-checking it out, I just turned it back in.

Chandy said...

Great job on the blog award! I've been hearing so much good news from all of you that I had to post about it on the Mathews blog!

Come check it out!

I was looking for this book at Barnes and Nobles last night, but no luck! I think it's time to go back to the library...